Byers Lake is the largest lake in the heart of Denali State Park. It is located at mile 146.5 off the Parks Highway. This lake offers incredible kayak tours, and the park has unparalleled rafting opportunities.
Denali Southside River Guides will guide you into this territory and show you all it has to offer. We are dedicated to preserving this area and have a philosophy of Leave Only Footprints Behind.
Denali Kayak Tour
Come see the beauty of Byers Lake as you glide through tranquil waters on single or tandem sit-on-top kayaks. Start your tour with brief and easy paddle instructions then embark for one of the most beautiful experiences in Alaska.
Watch for resident trumpeter swans, loons and beavers. Paddle over pools of spawning salmon. Look for the bears and eagles that come to feed on them. Take pictures of the breathtaking views of Denali and the Alaska Mountain Range. Don’t worry about your gear — we will provide you with rain pants and jackets, boots or crocs, and dry bags for cameras. These kayak tours are great for beginners or experienced paddlers with boats that are very stable and easy to maneuver.
Denali Kayak Tour
- Trip duration: Plan for 2 1/2 to 3 hours total for your adventure. Time on the water is 1.5 to 2.5 hours with extra time for transportation, gear up and down.
- Service fee: $99.00 per adult
- Children under 12: $69 per child
Kayak tours depart daily from
- Byers Lake Day Use Area at 9:15 am, 12:45 am, 4:15 pm.
- McKinley Princess Lodge at 9:00 am, 12:30 pm, 4:00 pm.
- Complimentary shuttle service is provided from the Mt. McKinley Princess Lodge for guests booked on this tour.
Little adventures — big memories!
Denali Kayak & Raft Trip – Full Day Excursion
Come see the beauty of Denali State Park by exploring its water ways and seeing its wildlife on this full day excursion! Our Kayak tours begin on Byers Lake, the largest lake in Denali State Park where you will glide through its tranquil waters on single or tandem sit-on-top kayaks. Watch for resident trumpeter swans, loons, and beavers. Paddle over pools of spawning salmon, and look for the bears and eagles that come to feed on them.
After your paddle, we will enjoy a warm lunch at a the historic Mary Cary’s McKinley View Lodge and then head to the river to embark on a scenic rafting float trip fully oared by your guide. Enjoy stunning vistas of Denali and the Alaska Range, and beautiful canyon walls. This trip provides wonderful wildlife viewing opportunities as you make your way downstream to the quaint village of Talkeetna where your trip concludes.
Denali Kayak & Raft Day Excursion
- Minimum of 4 people (for smaller groups, please call for availability)
- Trip duration: 8-9 hours
- Service fee: $199.00 per adult
- Children under 12: $179.00
- Full day excursions depart daily from Talkeetna, 8:00 am; or Denali State Park, 9:00 am
- Complimentary shuttle service can be provided from the Mt. McKinley Princess Lodge or downtown Talkeetna for guests booked on this tour.